With a fresh year in front of us, I thought we could take some time today to review a strategy for planning your spring garden. We will also talk about three minor changes you can make this week to set yourself up for a great year. It’s a great time to tap into your perception of a fresh start to change just one thing. We often underestimate the power of how a few small changes can have a long term impact for the better for us, our families and those around us.
What mother nature is providing
- Water and snow (Duck Story)
- Oyster Mushrooms - frozen solid
- Stinging Nettle
Tales from the Prepper Pantry
- The weekly squash - week 3: Sauteed Spaghetti Squash
Olive oil, garlic, basil --- add parmesan and salt at the end.
- Using left overs - Venison Stroganoff:
1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 3 cups diced fresh mushrooms, flour, oil/fat, white wine, milk, cream (or stock and sour cream)
- Cow Update - It fit! And we had the easiest processing ever - here is what we did
- Cabbage and grated sweet potato salad - tastes great!
- Starting Sauerkraut
Stories from the Holler
- The greenhouse roof - GRRR
- Spectacular Walks - but wear orange
Three changes you can make for a great year
- Decide the 1 thing you want to do best this year
- Set a weekly time to reflect on your progress and set a small, attainable forward step
- Remember the small things are the most important.
Lessons learned from Toby Hemenway
This week: P 21-35
The Problem is the solution
- What battles are you fighting?
- How can you change your approach to tap into Nature’s natural progression?
The three ecological principles
The niche, the succession, biodiversity
- Pioneer plants
- Perennial plants
- Young forest
- Old forest
What will I do here?
- Abandon tilling (already done here)
- Plant communities
Next week: P 36-67
Garden Planning Strategy - Go big, then back off
- Find all the things you want - then take time to get real.
- Shared buying advantages for seeds
- Bed preparations - for real man
- Sharpen, polish and otherwise assess your gardening tools
Make it a great week!