The show content today is near and dear to my heart. I don’t know why, but it seems like every year, no matter how careful I am, I get a bout of poison ivy. Mankind has had problems with poison ivy for a very long time. And that is why it is surprising that we only seem to know as much about it as we do the common cold. Become a Patron! https://www.patreon.com/livingfreeinTN Eating Seasonally and Tales from the Prepper Pantry This is where we share what we are eating as it comes to us - and talk about ways to use what we store.
- Saladpalooza! Fresh lettuce from the garden (or my friend’s garden, radishes, carrot greens, pea shoots)
- Dryads Saddle Mushroom
- Goats milk, which means cheese season is here
Getting the Gardens Ready Where we share what we are doing to get our food growing operation up and running.
- Progress report on the weed experiment
Garden Economics project
- A store in Smithville is trying out my eggs
- Plant sale announcement: tomatoes for sale in a joint project between Purple Maize Farm and the Holler Homestead - click here to order.
Poison Ivy Remedies Remedy 1: Scrape it until it bleeds Remedy 2: Jewel Weed Salve/ointment/juice Remedy 3: Poke Weed Roots
- Dig up the roots and smash them up than rub them into your outbreak. It will burn like the dickens, but then the poison ivy dries up.
- Never tried this and forgot to give it a go this time – will try it if I get another poison ivy gift this year.
Remedy 4: Pramagel/ Calamine
- Oatmeal + Baking soda, etc
- The hot water scratch
Remedy 5: Technu and related products
- ZanFel – (Mama Sauce says it is the only thing that ever worked for her)
Remedy 6: Hydrocortisone cream
- Over the counter does not work
- The prescription also does not work
- But you know what works really really well? My prescription for chlobetasol.
- Get this friggin vine off your land
- Wash every night with a good lye based soap with activated charcoal – this also helps with chiggers and other lovely Tennessee bugs
- Don’t re-wear the same clothing
- Think before you burn
- Watch your animals
In sum – what works for me:
- The hot water scratch
- Pramagel (Pramaxin)
- Jewelweed salve plus Neosporin
Stories from the Holler
- Rains and Bees
- I fired a client this week and here is why
Support the show:
Make it a great week! Song: Calling My Name, Sauce